Don’t Let Migraines Keep You in the Dark
If you suffer from migraines, you know how debilitating and intrusive they can be. Lasting from hours to days, migraine pain can be so severe that it interferes with your day.
Some people experience a warning sign called “auras” before a migraine attack. These can include visual disturbances like flashes of light or blind spots or other sensations like difficulty speaking or tingling in the face, arms, or legs.
If you experience migraines, please reach out to our team at Central Optometry. We can introduce you to Avalux glasses, an innovative approach to controlling migraine pain.
What Are Migraines?
- Difficulty speaking
- Numbness or tingling in the face, arms, or legs
- Sensitivity to light and sound
Migraines generally develop in stages.
Also known as a “pre-headache,” prodrome can occur 1 to 2 days before the migraine attack. Some may notice this stage while others don’t. Symptoms during prodrome vary from person to person but can include:
- Mood changes, from depression to euphoria
- Food cravings
- Neck stiffness
- Increased thirst and urination
- Frequent yawning
- Sensitivity to light and sound
Not all migraines are preceded by auras, but some people may experience these sensations before the migraine attack and after the prodrome stage. Auras are symptoms of the nervous system and usually present as visual disturbances, but they can present in other ways as well.
Auras generally develop slowly, building up over several minutes and lasting for 20 to 60 minutes.
Some migraine auras include:
- Visual phenomena like seeing shapes, bright spots, or flashes of light
- Vision loss
- Pins and needles sensations in an arm or leg
- Weakness or numbness in the face or one side of the body
- Difficulty speaking
- Hearing noises or music
- Uncontrollable jerking or other movements
Migraines can last anywhere from 4 to 72 hours if not treated, but this can vary from person to person. Some experience migraines regularly, while others only rarely.
A migraine attack can come with symptoms like:
- Pain on one side of the head but often on both sides
- Pulsing or throbbing pain
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and sometimes smell and touch
- Nausea and vomiting
The postdrome stage occurs once a migraine has passed. You may feel drained, confused, or sick. Some people have reported feeling elated after.
Who Is Affected by Migraines?
Migraines aren’t fully understood, but it’s believed that genetics and environmental factors may play a role. Migraines may also be influenced by changes in the brainstem and how it interacts with the trigeminal nerve (the largest of the cranial nerves originating in the brain). Imbalances in brain chemicals, like serotonin, may also be involved.
- Family history: If you have a family member who experiences migraines, you’re more likely to experience them as well.
- Age: Although migraines can begin at any age, they first occur during adolescence, peak during your 30s, and continue to become less severe and less frequent.
- Sex: Women are 3 times more likely to experience migraines than men.
- Hormonal changes: Migraines may begin just before or shortly after menstruation and may change during pregnancy and menopause. Migraines generally improve after menopause.
Migraine Relief with Avulux®
While some medications and lifestyle changes can make migraines less painful, at Central Optometry, we offer Avulux® Migraine & Photophobia glasses to help reduce the pain and discomfort of migraine headaches so you can get through your day.
Avulux® glasses are the only clinically proven spectacles for migraine pain and light sensitivity relief. 90% of Avulux® users experience such significant relief from their migraines that they are able to carry on with their daily activities. And up to 74% of Avulux® users can reduce their dependence on their medications.
Avulux® migraine glasses are a Class I Medical Device in 32 countries, including Canada. Clinical trials have proven Avulux® to be effective for preventing and treating migraine attacks and providing light sensitivity relief.
Avulux® glasses are designed to filter as much as 97% of the light most likely to trigger and intensify migraine headaches.
Over 8 years of research went into creating Avulux’s precision filters. These filters protect the most sensitive light cells in your eyes and return your brain activity back to normal. It’s not surprising that migraine sufferers with photophobia retreat to a dark room when they feel a migraine coming on. Avulux® Migraine & Photophobia glasses are your portable dark room!
- Treat acute attacks: Don your Avulux® glasses whenever you feel migraine symptoms or experience light sensitivity.
- Prevent migraine attacks: Wear your Avulux® glasses throughout your day or during any triggering activity, like working at a computer.
- No side effects: Wearing a pair of Avulux® glasses is like wearing your favourite sunglasses! They’re clinically proven to treat and prevent migraine pain without the side effects of medications.
Services We Offer
From annual eye exams to dry eye therapy, we take care of our patients’ eyes no matter their needs. By tailoring our approach to each individual, we are able to better preserve your ocular health.
We understand that your life is busy, but we also know the importance of regular visits to the optometrist. That’s why we offer evening hours on Wednesdays and are open on Saturdays.
And don’t forget, our online booking system is always available. It makes finding the best appointment time and date easy.
Always a pleasure visiting central optometry. The staff are very professional and friendly from the time you walk in until the time you leave. Amazing selection of frames for everyone’s budget. From the doctors to the staff, they are always going above and beyond to make sure you leave happy.
Best optometry appointment I’ve ever had. The eye exam took no time at all and I got a year supply of contacts at a really great price! Would recommend this place if you’re looking for a new optometrist in London.
The practice is on my way home from work and was recommended to me by a friend. Hours are great! My appointment was on time and the staff was really helpful with billing and picking out new frames. I would recommend them to anyone looking for an optometrist!